Star Castle Hotel 4* - Isles of Scilly
HUGH TOWN, ST MARY'S
The Star Castle Hotel was built in 1593. This unique elevated Elizabethan castle is only a short walk into Hugh Town. Occupying magnificent views of the surrounding islands, this stunning family run property has something for everyone.
The Star Castle Hotel boasts two restaurants which open in the summer: the atmospheric, award-winning Castle Dining Room with exposed beams and an open fire, and the vine-clad Conservatory, which is light and airy with fabulous views, specialising in local seafood dishes. The Dungeon Bar, where prisoners languished 400 years ago, is now a welcoming spot after a day exploring, with exposed stone walls and old military paraphernalia. Scillonian real ale is served here!
Other facilities of the Star Castle Hotel include an indoor heated pool, and a tennis court. Golf is available at the nearby course. Wine tasting can be arranged at the hotel during your stay (subject to minimum numbers) at the Holy Vale Vineyard.
The Star Castle Hotel comes highly recommended for a warm and welcoming stay.
The Star Castle Hotel offers 38 ensuite rooms in varying sizes and locations.
Castle Rooms are designed in the character of the original building, with some superior rooms offering sea views. Single rooms are also available, set in the Guard Houses on the Castle’s rampart, and accessed from outside.
Garden Rooms are accessed from the Castle gardens, have a more contemporary feel, and are bright and airy. Upgrade to a room with a private lawn area with deck chairs, or a private veranda with sea views—or why not opt for a Garden Suite with an open plan bedroom and separate lounge area? Families can be accommodated in the larger two-bedroom suites with harbour or sea views.
• Tea/coffee making facilities • TV • hairdryer • dressing gowns • Wi-fi
- Single Castle Room – Single bed, en-suite shower, garden view, castle location
- Single Guard Room – Single bed, en-suite shower, castle ramparts location (with their own entrance). These rooms are dog friendly.
- Castle Room – Majority located on the 2nd floor. Twin or double beds with a bath and shower in each room. Guaranteed sea-view.
- Superior Castle Room – Larger than the castle room with twin or double four poster beds and a shower over bath. Guaranteed sea-view.
- Garden Room – Country cottage style rooms with their own private entrance. Views over the castle gardens and located a stone’s throw from the Conservatory restaurant and indoor swimming pool. Double or twin beds, shower over bath, and dog friendly.
- Garden Room with Garden – More spacious than the garden rooms with its own seating area and can accommodate an extra bed. Leading out onto a private lawn with sun loungers. Double or twin beds, shower over bath, and dog friendly.
- Garden Room with Veranda and Sea View – More spacious than the garden rooms with its own seating area, and can accommodate an extra bed. Leading out onto a veranda with guaranteed sea-view. Double or twin beds, shower over bath, and dog friendly.
- Garden Suite with Harbour View – More like an apartment with cloak-room entrance, twin or double bedroom with shower over bath. Lounge accommodating an extra bed with panoramic views over St Mary’s Harbour and the sea. Outdoor space with seating and a small in-room fridge. Dog friendly.
- Superior Garden Suite with Veranda and Sea View – Recently refurbished, open plan style located in the castle garden with a guaranteed sea view. Larger than the garden rooms; perfect to accommodate families. Twin or double beds. Extra space can accommodate another two beds and a cot. Shower over bath, dog friendly.
HOTEL TOP TIPS
The Star Castle is a fantastic option for those looking to fully immerse themselves in the islands history. However due to its position at the top of a steep and cobbled hill, approximately a fifteen minute walk from Hugh Town, this may not be the best option for visitors with walking difficulties.
For children, there is a fantastic children’s playground just a five minute walk south of the hotel on top of the Garrison.
Remember your swimming gear if you want to make use of their delightful indoor pool.
Holiday Name : Star Castle Hotel 4*
Reference : PT